My Experience With Weight-Loss Surgery

2004 was the year I decided to change my life. I began the process and journey to get approval for weight loss surgery. There were different types to choose, RNY (Roux-en-Y), Sleeve, and Lap band.
After much research I decided to have RNY (Roux-en-Y). I was 269 pounds on a 5'0 foot frame. 

I had tried some traditional methods, i.e. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, and Yo-Yo Dieting to no avail. I then begin to have health challenges, pre diabetes, pre hypertension and extreme pain in my legs. I actually thought it was early arthritis, however when the doctor examined me he said the dreaded words Morbidly Obese!

I went through the evaluations, group support sessions, nutrition counseling and I still had to lose 20 lbs, to show the doctor I was serious about the procedure.

February 2005 I had Surgery, I was still not prepared for the after effects. As a weight loss surgery patient we have strict restrictions of protein first, no bread, carbs etc. The first phase is liquids only: i.e. broth, protein shakes and sugar free jello. Nothing wanted to stay down at first.

I vomited a lot until my body adjusted. My 2nd phase I started introducing soft foods and doing protein shakes. Finding a protein shake I could tolerate was a challenge. I did not like Vanilla or Strawberry, I found that I could do chocolate protein if not too sweet. No sodas, No juices unless unsweetened.

I slowly began to lose weight I went from 269 lbs, at my lowest to 160 lbs. My initial Dress size was 26/28 to at my lowest size 4. I now wear size 8/10 in dresses. Since your stomach is small almost the size of an egg, you have to supplement with vitamins, B 12, vitamin d, biotin and iron. This is a regimen you must commit to for life. When you don't you can really have issues like low iron and other  deficiencies.

You always have to do protein, protein and more protein, this helps in the weight loss and helps in not having hanging skin. I will say that depends on how large you are from the beginning. If you have more pounds to lose more than 200 or more you will probably have extra skin and will need plastic surgery. (Of course check with your physician to make sure)

Selecting RNY was the best decision for me. Even though it was very difficult from approval and even months after surgery, I would do it again. I am successfully maintaining my weight loss and  I don't have diabetes, hypertension or legs that hurt.
This article is compliments of Michelle A. Roberts, M.A., Author, Speaker, and Entrepreneur and Author of Affirmations for Success

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Michelle_Antoinette_Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment